Following a car accident, you likely have many questions, including how you will pay for your medical treatment, including chiropractic care. The good news is that you do not have to worry about shouldering chiropractic costs after a car accident, as medical expenses are covered by Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance.
What Is NJ PIP?
New Jersey PIP will cover your costs if you are in a car accident and need chiropractic treatment. Conveniently, this coverage comes regardless of who is responsible for the car accident, which is why some people refer to it as “no-fault coverage.”
What Does PIP Cover?
PIP features two parts. The first part covers the cost of the chiropractor after the car accident. It also covers the treatment you get from other medical providers, such as doctors and hospitals, as well as the cost of medical equipment used in your treatment.
The second part of PIP is also incredibly helpful, as it reimburses you for other expenses due to your injury. Examples include wages from when you could not work due to the injury or the cost of hiring someone to care for your family, home, or yourself.
How Does PIP Coverage Work?
- If you own your car and have your own car insurance, then, by law, your auto insurance will cover the medical expenses. These expenses are covered even if you (the patient) are not at fault, if you are a pedestrian or a passenger in another vehicle (that does not belong to you)
- Now, suppose that you do not own a motor vehicle and you do not have a car insurance but a direct family member who lives in the same household does have auto insurance. In that case, by law, that relative’s auto insurance will cover the patient’s medical expenses. The good news is that the monthly premiums for that car insurance will not go up for the family member.
- Another option is if you do not own a vehicle and do not have a car insurance under your name, AND you do not have a direct family member living in the same household who owns a vehicle and has car insurance, then the NJ PIP (or NJ PLIGA) will cover the medical expenses.
- Finally, if you own a vehicle with a car insurance with the minimum coverage of $1 a day, then to treat you will need either health insurance (if we are in-network) or a letter of protection (LOP) from the law firm (if the patient has a legal matter).
It is very important for you to know that, wether you are at fault or not, if you were involved in a motor vehicle accident and you suffere of any pain, you should get evaluated and our office will help you determine how your treatment will be covered and we will help you not to receive any out of pocket expenses!
How to Get Coverage for Your Chiropractic Care
Because insurance companies want to make money, they will deny your claim unless you can provide proof. Luckily, offices for accident chiropractic in Newark, NJ, that commonly work with those injured in car accidents are familiar with the requirements and documentation. This familiarity can help ensure that they properly document everything for your chiropractic car accident claim from the start.
To be fully compensated for your car accident injury chiropractor services, you will want to have documentation of your initial symptoms, chiropractic treatments, and all of the expenses related to those treatments.
It can be intimidating to file a chiropractor car accident claim, especially when you want to focus on healing and getting better. The best way to avoid being overwhelmed or making mistakes with the documents is to work with a car accident injury chiropractor. The chiropractor’s primary focus is to help you get better. Plus, the chiropractor’s familiarity with the system will help the paperwork go smoothly.
What paperwork do I need to bring for my first appointment after the accident?
If you have auto insurance or a family member has an insured motor vehicle, then you must bring to the first appointment the following documentation:
- A claim number from your own car insurance or the family member’s insurance.
- Your car insurance declaration page (this will explain the PIP limits and explain if the health insurance or car insurance is primary).
- Health insurance (if any): even when the car insurance is primary, the health insurance absorbs any copay/deductible and other costs that the car insurance doesn’t. Providing this to the doctor’s office will prevent out of pocket expenses to the patient.
- A copy of your car insurance card.
- Police report.
- Driver’s license.
- Proof of residency (if you, the patient, are going to be covered by a family member’s car insurance, then that insurance will need a utility bill with your name and address of the dated 60-90 days BEFORE the day of the accident).
If you do not have auto insurance, and do not live with any family member who has car insurance, you must bring to the first appointment:
- Health insurance (if any): even when the car insurance is primary, the health insurance absorbs any copay/deductible and other costs that the car insurance doesn’t.
- Police report.
- Driver’s license.
- Proof of residency (utility bill with the name and address of the patient dated 60-90 days BEFORE the day of the accident).
Get Help Now, Call (973) 485-2332
Call us today to schedule your appointment with Dr. Terry McSweeney, with over 30 years of chiropractic care experience. We are conveniently located in Newark, NJ, and accept most insurance plans. Same-Day appointments may be available. Call us today!
About Dr. Terry McSweeney
Dr. McSweeney was born in Cork, Ireland, and has lived in New Jersey since 1986 when he started practicing Chiropractic Medicine in Newark. He opened the door to his private practice “Mount Prospect Health Center,” in 1989, focusing on family and general chiropractic and then expanding to acupuncture and pain management. His bi-cultural background and focus on community collaboration and participation have led him to volunteer opportunities and community leadership roles. Dr.McSweeney graduated from undergraduate school at McNeese University in Lake Charles, Louisiana, and received his chiropractic degree from Texas Chiropractic College. Dr. McSweeney is certified in Manipulation Under Anesthesia and is a member of both the New Jersey Chiropractic Society and American Chiropractic Society; he is also a board member of the Mount Prospect Partnership and director of Mayor Quintana’s Health Program.
About Mount Prospect Health Center
Mount Prospect Health Center is a multi-disciplinary medical facility located in Newark, NJ. Our specialties include chiropractic, orthopedics, pain management, and physical therapy.
Call (973) 485-2332 to book your appointment and get on the road to recovery!